Thread: 3.7" aa
View Single Post
Old 21-03-19, 23:32
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Hello Doug.

I do know a set of towing axles for one showed up at a local surplus dealer's yard about 40 years ago and I was told they came from the Shilo Museum when a Base 'Higher-Up' of the time ordered a cleanup of "junk" sitting about in several buildings on the base. The dealer acquired the axels, ................The axles were eventually sold, so my guess is if Shilo still has the 3.7, it hasn't moved very far over the years.

Those axles are still out at the local scrap yard. In the museum, there is one gun that is set up outside the museum. It does not presently have the axles underneath it. The other 3.7 is inside the storage building in which I work. The one set of axles the museum still has is presently underneath that gun.

We did take the 3.7 over to the Brandon Commonwealth Air Training Museum a couple summers ago along with a couple other artifacts. The 3.7 is quite heavy, and I had to use the old M135 deuce to load it onto the DND trailer. Coming home at the end of the summer, it was quite a chore getting it onto the trailer again as I did not have the Deuce in that location. I had to load some equipment onto my own trailer, and when I finally got back to the base, I was surprised to see the 3.7 sitting off the lowboy and back on the roadway. It turns out, the drivers had removed the chains, but not blocked the wheels, and when they weren't looking, the 3.7 simply rolled off the trailer on it's own accord.