View Single Post
Old 13-08-20, 06:08
Lionel G. Evans

Default Castor Dolly For 30 CWT Truck - Checking the Mathematics

Hello All,

I would like to make a set of cast iron castor-based dolly stands to be able to move my 1940 MCP Chevrolet 30 CWT truck around in my shed. The truck is missing its manufacturer's Specification Plate that says what the carrying capacity and other weights like Gross Vehicle Mass or TARE are. At the moment I can only work off the truck once being identified by another truck owner of the same size as a 30 CWT truck.

Do the following calculations sound okay strength wise? The type of arrangement I am thinking of building appears in the attached photo. I would be using stronger materials to build the dolly.

There are 100 mm cast iron castors that are rated at 225 Kilograms per wheel
The truck is rated at 30 CWT or 1.5 Metric Tonnes or 1.68 US Ton (short) or 1.49 Imperial Ton (Long).

Does this mean that each of the truck's wheels would bear the weight of 375 Kilograms - fully loaded?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If a single castor is rated at 225 Kilograms and a dolly is made up of four castors - does this mean the carrying capacity of the dolly is 225 x 4 = 900 kilograms?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I figure working off the truck's carrying capacity instead of its TARE would provide me with a large built-in safety margin to work within.

Is this thinking that four castors 225 Kilogram rated castors on one dolly multiplies the capacity of the dolly at 900 Kilogram correct or false?

Also, is the thought that dividing a truck's carrying capacity by four tyres is correct or false?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason I choose to use cast iron castors is that if they sit in the same position for a long time they should not develop flat spots. I built a timber engine dolly for a 216 Chevrolet motor where I used polymer based wheels. Over a period of time with the engine sitting in one place the wheels had developed flat-spots.

What wall size square hollow section and rectangular hollow section would be the most suitable?

Kind regards
Lionel
Attached Images

Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2

Last edited by Lionelgee; 13-08-20 at 07:34.