View Single Post
Old 05-05-15, 00:25

Default My 5 cents worth....

Based on all the work that has been done already .....

Start with the tie rod ends....... they can be disassembled to visually verify wear...... not unusual to see oval wear spots. Look at the tapered hole where the tie rod connects to the eggcup..... in some case the tapered hole has gone oval...... they can be machined larger and a new tapered insert manufactured.

Then move on the steering arms..... take them apart...again not unusual to find some round pins with significant wear spots..... then move on to tighten the steering box..... which you may need to remove and look at the innards .

If none of that improves the shimmy look at totally disassembling the front axle egg cups...... there are NO cone bearing in the CMP like the Dodge axle. You will be looking at the New Departure 928 bearings mounted on solid pins... they should be hard to remove as they are a tight fit..... any looseness or wear patterns should be visible to the naked eye...... when removing the end caps you will find small circular shims.... save them and keep track of how many which side.....when you reassemble you need to preload the bearing as per the manual. Dirk as the New Departure bearings and use to have spare shims..... other wise start buying front axles for spare parts. I have taken CMP front axles apart that the New Departure bearings where literally worn out and fell apart in my hands. Old bearing if good are usually a tight fit and and need to be pulled out and pressed back in place.

From my experience you need to start at the wheel bearings which has been addressed then move on to the next connection point one step at a time.

I know you can ruin the front axle of a Dodge M series in one Winter of driving with wheel chains..... the solution was to have the oval holes of the front axle flange drilled out and new tapered inserts pinned in place..... it would have been cheaper to buy a scrap M37 for parts. The tie rod ends were also replaced at the same time.

Good luck.

Bob C
Canada