View Single Post
Old 23-10-11, 22:39
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Background

I missed it - must have been a tired moment!

I do remember at school there was always the Holden/Ford rivalry (which extends today to Chev/Ford CMPs to some extent), although as Rich says there were many other brands. When I got to car buying age there were plentiful supplies of British cars such as Morris Minors and Hillmans. I had 15 Minors at various stages, mostly bought for a few dollars for parts as well as Singer, Hillman and of course CMPs. It was a long while before I owned a Japanese car.

Completely agree re the comment about Keating, also Steve Bracks - these are not the sort of names I'd think of when talking about cars of the 60s or 70s.

A three part program like this naturally has to cover a lot of ground and above all be a piece of entertainment for the audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Coutts-Smith View Post
Methinks that this program is tackling too big a subject too do any of it justice.
As a child who grew up through much of what was covered in Ep.2. and much of the narrated comments was not how I remembered it. I certainly was not in a "Holden TRIBE" or a "Ford TRIBE". There were considerably more brands respected and favoured than just these two, as can be seen in the REDEX part.
This program continues to fascinate and annoy me in about equal parts.
Jack Brabham: Legend
Len Beadell: Legend
Paul Keating??????

I assume everyone saw the Blitz "In the Background" in the Brabham story?
Rich.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern