View Single Post
Old 21-04-03, 08:06

Default 'The Welsh Cavalry'

Hi Gents,

I think this might possibly be tied up with common nicknames for regiments? There is a modern regiment (currently serving as divisional recce regiment for 1st UK Armoured Division in Iraq) called the Queen's Dragoon Guards and is commonly known as 'The Welsh Cavalry' due to its traditional recruitment areas in south and west Wales (you might have seen them on the news operating with 3 Commando Brigade in CVR(T) light armour).

It was created post-war from the amalgamation of cavalry regiments that traditionally recruited in this area. The two that I remember for definite are the King's Dragoon Guards and the Queen's Bays (the combination of which created the modern title) and I think the Carabiniers might have had a hand in it somewhere as well.

This is all half-remembered from regular 'regimenatl history' lectures from a friend who served with them in the First Gulf War - I'll see if I can find out more about their background.

What is certain is that there have never been any cavalry regiments with the word 'Welsh' in the official title (though there have been a few 'Prince of Wales' Owns' - none of which were actually Welsh!

Mark