View Single Post
Old 10-07-09, 02:46

I must admit I was initially disappointed when the truck arrived at our garage. Our customer had bought a vehicle that was not as good as described to him or myself. We were tasked to make the vehicle safe to drive and run well enough to be put in parades. Initial inspection indicated lots of work and perhaps more than the customer expected. No brakes, won’t start, no lights and so on. I was told by the vendors agent that the starter was rebuilt and just needed to be hooked up. Well the starter was in wrong ( I know, how do you do that on a CMP?), the battery cables were about 8 gauge wire and nothing was “as advertised”. Gordon gave the okay to get working so we did. Brian Gough, Bob and I gave the truck a thorough once over and all of a sudden were amazed a what a great truck this was. Everything it needed was just a result of sitting unused or being improperly done. The fuel tanks were coated inside and out but the pickup and gauge holes were soldered over. The coating inside the tank had come off. All of these things involved time but nothing was serious. The more we finished on the truck the more we realized what a great vehicle it was. It now runs like a Swiss watch, starts on the second revolution and will stop on the proverbial dime. I agree with Gordon when he says you would be hard pressed to find a vehicle this solid and this complete. Good on you Gordon for having the balls to take this on.

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.