View Single Post
Old 18-12-14, 22:19

Default IN the dirty 30s and scarcity of the 40s....

The belts used were woven wool that had been scalded/shrunk to a very tight mass.

When ever a belt broke at J R Booth or EB Eddy there was a fight going on to see who could get a piece of the belting to take home for blankets.... heavy but vey warm. Mine was drak beige ( probably a production staining) bordered with Corporal stripe lacing...... my grandmother worked at home sewing lanc, corporal and Sergeant stripes to OD backing or in BLue for the Air Farce.

They also had a very very heavy woven cotton, almost like string, belting on the drier machines...... salvaged an used as floor covering in Summer kitchens.... required many coats of oil paint buyt almost indestructable. My Dad rood a small shed with that stuff.... just belached white with the Sun.

Breaking a dryer belt was a major event has they had to shut down the mill for a few days... longer is the break was due to an employee falling in the machine.

They called those the good old days.

Do you remember that heavy pinkish rolled carpet in the attic of the barn..... the one we had a hard time moving... that was a later synthetic belt from EB Eddy in Hull circa 1980 + or -
Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 19-12-14 at 17:23.