View Single Post
Old 20-05-12, 12:52
Tony Baker

Default Vehicle number signage added

G'day Keith! Yeah I have that bit, but ran out of sunlight and motivation before I got it back on. I really wanted to put the grille on temporarily, even though the shroud isn't done yet. I need to put the Ford badge onto the grille first. I dropped it the other day, but it fell writing side up (the way that buttered toast DOESN'T) and wasn't damaged. Bonnet needs a set of shims made and it's ready to go on then also.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Signage 1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	49286 Click image for larger version

Name:	signage 2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	49287 Click image for larger version

Name:	signage 3.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	49288 Click image for larger version

Name:	signage 4.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	49289
The final task today was sticking the vehicle numbers on nose and doors. I wasn't sure about the font when I first received these from U.S.A, but they kind of grew on me, so I thought I would go ahead with them. It was cheaper to buy these from USA, as opposed to buying local. That's just amazing. Putting 'em on was no problem as I had dabbled in computer-cut signage some years ago. Ah the memories! Wish I had kept the sign cutter.

The sun had gone down but I wanted to get the numbers on TODAY, so I hooked up an old floodlight for ambiance. Because of the steaming turd of a day I had suffered, and because the numbers are my Fathers' service numbers, I was determined to finish the day on a positive note. To be frank, I would have fired up the old kerosene lamp if I had to do so to get the job done. When I stood back and took a good look, I have to confess I got a bit choked-up, and was thinking Dad would have loved to see this vehicle finished. He's been gone 6 years now and I guess at this time he would love to see any vehicle I suppose.

I went from sadness to having a little chuckle, when I realised that Dads' service number when applied to the CMP, looks quite like the phone number you would ring to order a taxi.

I am expecting a TAC plate to arrive this week. Hope to get someone to cut me a chunk of metal for the unit & 'PASS' signs to go onto. I may take next weekend off as far as CMP work goes, to allow shoulder to settle down a bit. Mind you, I did say that last Saturday too.
Click image for larger version

Name:	spotlessly clean.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	49290
And Lynn said I would never be able to keep the workshop clean!?!?

I swear I will NEVER restore another vehicle of this size and weight again...............so if anyone has an old Saturn V rocket that needs doing up, send me a message!!!!!!!

Ende