View Single Post
Old 06-12-18, 23:01
Chris Preston

Default Sherman Firefly turrets.............

Hi Hanno,

Chris, so basically all you are going to reuse is the lower hull, and fit it with a new composite upper hull, VVSS and alter the turret to a low bustle one? Quite a major conversion, indeed!

For this build, I'm using as many kit components as possible, and modifying them as necessary.

The lower hull has had all the holes for HVSS and the kit Idler brackets filled, and VVSS units and Idlers from Mato purchased and modified to fit the Tamiya hull.

The Upper hull has been converted to a Sherman Mk Ic (Hybrid) hull by removing the forward portion of the kit hull (from just behind the Driver/Co-Driver hatches) and replacing it with the forward portion of an M4A1 cast hull (after-market), and the rear plate for an M4/Sherman Mk I has been cut away. The hull is now complete, with final clean-up in progress.

For the turret, I have the option of using and modifying the kit turret into a low-bustle turret, but need either photos or a diagram of the right side of the turret to get the angles correct. The other option is to purchase an after-market cast resin low-bustle Firefly turret, with all the mods done.

As you said - it's a major conversion !!! Any help you may be able to provide be greatly appreciated. I've already seen the links you and others have posted - Many Thanks for that.

Cheers,

Chris Preston,
Victoria, BC