View Single Post
Old 30-07-11, 09:43
Tony Baker

Default Getting closer to paint solution, kind of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
They do actually do a 2 pack ADF system . It's called BARRIER PU 601 ...$70 for 4 litres and $30 for the hardener

The stuff your thinking of is 342 Camoflage enamel .

Mike,

I spent 90 min at the auto paint shop this morning/afternoon. The formula Bob supplied was apparently unable to be replicated in the Automotive 2 pack I wanted. This is the paint I used and was impressed with last weekend, when to insides of wheel halves were sprayed. In fact they said they didn't have a "yellow base" to start formula. Also, the mixing formula letter combination confused them, so no good with that, apparently. Couldn't get their head around the whole timber VS auto side of the process either.

If you read my recent postings here, you will recall Protec email responder stating they do NOT supply 601 without ADF approval. My local paint shop did not have ADF in 601, and couldn't find it in their database. They did feel it could be restricted, but will check for me. So TBA.

On the other hand, 342 Camoflage paint, enamel, is a standard pre mixed "lustreless" formula in three colors (they think). As fortune would have it, they actually had a 1L can in back room. This I have bought, in addition to a compatable hardener, effectively and literally turning this enamel into 2 Pack. The hardener is urethane! And NO FLATTENER NEEDED for mixing. I will study tech sheets tonight & trial this paint tomorrow, painting outside of the wheels. The insides will then be of darker color, which is regrettable, but being insides won't make a lick of difference, except I will know......and now you too.

Depending on whether I can deal with the color difference, I may even respray insides at later date. On the other hand, if the 342 is not satisfactory finish or quality, i will have wheels re-sandblasted and start from scratch. The enamel / 2 pack '342' paint will probably NOT allow recoating with another type of paint.

The 324 is considerably cheaper than 609 but is still around $45 a litre. At least they think so, couldn't actually find a price for this on the computer either, because it is used so rarely that they deleted it from sales files.

Tune in tomorrow for the next exciting episode of..........oh bugger it, even i'm bored with this now.......