View Single Post
Old 22-11-11, 11:14
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default morris

Have done a few checks... I inspected the gearbox just in time ..it was full of water ... water trickles down the gear stick . I've seen this problem before on open cab vehicles and I always check it out . I have washed it out with deisel fuel ... looks OK , shiny gears with no obvious damage . It turns over freely and gear shifting is easy .

The engine pulley turns a tad , the pistons are not stuck . The slack in the timing chain is taken up, then it jams, indicating stuck valves . These engines have the valve lifters in bolt on little blocks which are removeable . Somewhat like many vintage cars of the 1920's .

The unusual rubber cushioned uni joints look a bit sick . Perished .

Steering box was full of water as well . The drag link has sheared off, broken at the point where it threads into the ball joint end on the steering arm, at the wheel . Nasty .The drag link is hollow and it's rather thin at the threading , deep threads have left little meat there Could be dangerous for other CS8 owners .......maybe a safety bulletin should be spread around ...MIKE
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad