View Single Post
Old 24-04-06, 23:33
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Hysteria?

Hi Richard

I thought the guy was going to clobber the auctioneer!

There were several occasions where bids were missed - I don't think it was really the auctioneer's fault; in most cases where this happened the bidders were sitting on top of their chosen vehicles and were very hard to see. He continually asked people to yell out if they thought he hadn't seen them.

I may include this little episode on the DVD...

As for hysteria it was hard to say - it certainly started with great gusto and this just continued all the way. I interviewed Mike Stallwood yesterday who commented the scowl on John's face gradually turned into a smile as the sale progressed.

It certainly was the most interesting and unusual auction I've ever been to! The mood was upbeat despite the weather and gloomy lighting in the building, and there were many with pretty deep pockets. I spoke to one guy yesterday from Queensland who bought the Dingo, Saracen, one of the Macks and Lynx who commented: "I can always earn more money, but they're not making any more of those."

I was filming there yesterday and plan to go again today for a short while - lots of interesting people to meet, interview and chat to.

The morning after the auction, John's wife Pat said she'd slept with a millionaire last night, but it was a pity she had to wait until she was 75 to do it.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern