View Single Post
Old 02-02-06, 02:59
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Convertable??

Quote:
Originally posted by EnfieldGuy
Were the wired Enfileds easily converted from a grenade launcher to a normal rifle??

Does the grenade launcher cup just "snap on" or is it a considerable set up??
The discharger cup is quite easy to mount on the SMLE No1 Mk3, there are no adjustments necessary. All you do is hold the "clamps" as I'll call them in the recesses of the front sight protector, rest the cup discharger recess on the bayonet lug, and twist the cup. It will screw itself on perfectly centred over the muzzle. I've included some pics so you can get an idea of how it goes on.
The whole get up is quite heavy, between 12 and 13 lbs. When fired, the rifle butt was placed on the ground and the rifle was angled towards the target, mortar style. The trigger was topmost so the rifle looks upside down when firing.
There was another type of grenade which could be launched from the No1 Mk3. The grenade was attached to a rod which the firer placed down the muzzle. It was held in place by two spring steel clips that went into the same recesses of the front sight protector as the cup discharger. I had both types of grenade in Canada, but had to sell them before moving to the U.S.
Hope this info and these pics help.
Attached Thumbnails
imag0414.jpg