View Single Post
Old 23-10-10, 12:05
Tony Baker

Default Minor Progress 23/10/2010

Got a few more small bits off the truck today.

WD40'd the headlight bowls last week, and they came away without issue.....this week. Most parts will be going to a local sandblaster, but thought I would blast some of the most rusted parts just to see how bad they were. Hmmmmm...apart from getting VERY covered with black blast medium, discoverd two small areas of rust-through. Wouldn't expect trouble with repair though.

N.B: Harry Connick Jnr would NOT have approved of my 'black face' look today.

Also tried to remove bolts and screws from drivers door (door removed from truck last weekend). Same WD40 treatment, but much less joy than I had hoped for with the door hinge bolts and lock screws!
Had to resort to grinder to get lock handle plate off. Was very careful NOT to damage plate, but now need set of 'easy-outs' and careful drilling to remedy.

Several areas of metal fatigue were evident on door itself, but once again, should be easy to repair with brazing. About to phone my Father-in-law. He is a rather good welder :-)

Why is it there is ALWAYS ONE BOLT that refuses to come out?
Both door hinges have one bolt EACH that will not budge, and if I cant get them free, I will concede defeat and leave them there for the duration.

Also removed the vents in nose panel. Easy job to do, UNLESS there is that one bolt again. Yep, thats right, was one in each of the vents hinges. No match for the grinder though.

Am keeping all the mutilated bolts and screws so I know replacements will be exact match.

One more thing.

I am keen to buy a 'basket case' or damaged nose panel, to use as donor steel for several rust repairs in various spots. Would rather use original shape and gauge of steel for repairs.

If you are in south east Queensland, and have a suitable (stuffed) nose panel you will sell, send me a message!

Pictures to follow .

Tony B.