View Single Post
Old 10-11-10, 22:30
Tony Baker

Default Sandblasting Parts

Took some small parts to sandblaster yesterday. They came back a bit lighter!
Headlight bowls were the worst. I was aware of two small rust spot holes, but wasn't entirely ready for what I saw when blasting was complete.
They quite resembled a sieve. Fortunately, I had planned for this and had a plan to remedy.

Examples of the extent of rust damage.
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB110175.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	38328 Click image for larger version

Name:	PB110177.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	38329

Using a tar based tape, the rear of bowls were treated with a layer over majority of the portion which will be largely unseen under the nose panel. While this is NOT my prefered method, I did not want to throw them away, even though I may have access to buy replacements. The tape will be sprayed with a 'stone guard' compound that should make the tape invisible. I will have to buy special spray gun for this step. Alternatively, a brush-on underbody compound would achieve the same result with less expense.

Name:	PB110178.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	38330 Click image for larger version

Name:	PB110179.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	38331

You may notice areas of black already visible around edges. This is a bitumin based blade putty that actually dries to be tack free. I will be using this on areas I cannot apply the tape (eg: areas where I do not want to add extra thickness, so that installation will not be affected. It can also be used on inside of bowls because it can be painted without problems.

This is a quick before / after view.

Name:	PB110181.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	38332

Will be purchasing the material for final step today and pictures of finished product will be posted when I can.

Tony