View Single Post
Old 03-01-16, 23:19
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
I happened across this manual while putting away duplicate books for in the library here in the RCA Museum. It answered a few questions about the 4 inch dischargers, such as how far the smoke cannister was projected (A: aprox 125 yards). I don't have access to the room with the scanner right now, and as well the book is pretty new so I don't want to fold the pages over, so you'll have to be happy with photographs.

The manual also covers various 2 inch dischargers as noted on the index page, however I have not copied those pages. If someone really wants to see them, let me know and when I get time I can photograph those as well.
The bad news for anyone in the UK is that that particular smoke discharger will come under Section 5 of the act, because it's short enough to be classed as a pistol. (So if you want one, or want a gunsmith to make you one out of No.1 Rifle parts, it will have to be deactivated and welded into a single lump.)

This is probably just as well, since if it can launch a can of soup 125 yards it's not something you want to stand in front of.

The canisters themselves are probably s5 as well, since the wartime ones were most likely white phosphorus filled (even the later HC ones would be fairly nasty in a confined space - powdered zinc and hexachloroethane, I think (has to be manufactured in very dry conditions as it can be initiated by water)).

Chris.