View Single Post
Old 23-02-13, 11:09
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

I don't think the wireless sets were painted for the theatre of operation. I've seen four different colours for the cases in the dozen or so I have owned. There were matte flat brown, wrinkle brown, flat OD and wrinkle OD. There are different coloured panels as well. There were many manufacturers in Canada, England, U.S., and Australia each with their own paint shop.

Sets came from the factory that way. They were shipped to the Canadian ordnance stores in Greenford, Middlesex. Units made draws against the store and took pot luck as to manufacturer and colour. The vehicles were with respective units prior to supply of the wireless sets. That's not to say they couldn't be painted if the vehicle was getting repaired. In 1943 19 sets were in short supply so the Canadian army drew from British stores and got whatever colour they used.

The complete installation comprised of two kits. The first was the 19 set proper to CES. This included the A & B sets mounts. The second kit was the mounting kit for whatever vehicle it was for. For example the carrier kit didn't come with a #8 mount but had the wooden spacer needed.

When the MK II carrier appeared Canada had no mounting kits so again, British stores were used. Same with the addition of the Welsh Guards basket.

In spring of 1944 the preparation for D-day created a shortage of 19 sets so the 22 set was issued to Canadian Army. Again the 22 set was British made with their own colour scheme.

Also in May 1944 distribution of wireless was changed from formation to particular vehicle needs. The MK II was withdrawn from service in 1944.