View Single Post
Old 23-02-13, 16:39

Hi Bruce.

I think you are right. Vehicle paint would have initially been theatre dependent, wireless sets were painted with whatever paint the manufacturer found it could get a reliable supply of at any given time. I have had a lot of colour variations in sets pass through my hands over the years as well, but can now only match up the few still in my collection.

Currently I can match up:

19-Set Mk II (Cdn): RCA Canada Transceiver and Philco USA PSU in No. 2 Brown Wrinkle

19-Set Mk III (Cdn): All RCA Canada in semi flat OD

19-Set A/C PSU: RCA Canada in semi flat No. 2 Brown

27-Set (Cdn): Rogers Majestic Canada in wrinkle No. 2 Brown

58-Set Mk I (Cdn): Addison Industries in a weird flat green/brown

19-Set Crystal Calibrator: Marconi Canada in wrinkle OD

Vibrator Converter: Electronic Laboratories of Canada in semi gloss OD

A number of years ago I also had a British Pye Communications Receiver Set that was wrinkle black.

The one other observation I can think of is that I have never seen an original paint on a Wireless Remote Control Unit No. I Canadian, or Field Phone Set that was not a flat finish. Perhaps that is related to these items all having wooden cases and maybe wrinkle paints were a metal only finish.

I would be interesting to see what other colours show up from the USA and other Commonwealth areas. I think Australia made their own wireless equipment, not sure about New Zealand.

David