View Single Post
Old 25-01-18, 08:56
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi all,

The sandblasters have started on the M8 so I took the opportunity to check for serial numbers before they put any paint on it, to see if I could learn a bit more about the hull.

As I previously mentioned, the ordnance serial numbers ‘7373’ are in each lower corner of the front hull. These were nice and clear. I was hoping to locate the other number on the front armour plate in the centre below the front hatches. The metal on the hull here is quite rough and I could not make out a lot out with any certainty. I thought I could see a ‘6’ but then again it could have been a ‘C’. I took some pictures of this area but even blowing the photos up didn’t reveal anything. Whatever was there was very hard to see and nothing like as clear as the ordnance serial numbers on the lower front corners.

There are a range of other numbers on the hull in various places. There is a series of numbers on the top of the hull at the rear above where the radiator is. There are other numbers in the front armour which I figure are plate drawing numbers. All in all, not a lot more learnt!

I’ll send through some more photos once they’ve got some paint on the hull.

Along with cleaning up a few other parts, I’ve just about reassembled the generator. I had to fit a new electrical stud and make up a new insulating plate and insulating sleeves for the two studs. The repair appears to be okay. I’ve made up some new gaskets, replaced one of the bearings and have some new brushes coming, so hopefully not a bad repair cost overall, excluding all the hours I put in! Everything seems to check out so far but we’ll see what the auto electrician says. He’ll tell me how good (or bad) I am!

I’ve also had some other radio/interphone parts arrive. It seems a shame to open these boxes up.

That's it for today.....
Attached Thumbnails
20180125_154535.jpg   20180125_153932.jpg   20180125_153650.jpg   20180125_153427.jpg   20180125_153143.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
1941 Australian LP2A Machine Gun Carrier
1943 White M3A1AOP Scout Car
1944 Ford M8 Armoured Car
1945 Ford M20 Armoured Car

Last edited by Big D; 25-01-18 at 21:43.