View Single Post
Old 05-09-18, 07:50

Default By the way....

Another deal was Jackson Triggs Merlot wine which sells for $11.99 a bottle here in Vancouver and is made here.....was on sale there for $6.99 a bottle there. Came home with 3 cases and am enjoying a glass as I type.

And on another note as you and Rob can attest to, I was down to Crown Surplus and had a great chat with Gordon Cumming's son, John. A lot has changed since I started shopping there in the late 70's. Now I AM dating myself!!! The Bofors still remains a "fixture" in the outside lot, although it is starting to look a serious case of surface rust. I will post some pictures. Got to go into some of the back rooms (did I mention West Coast Charm?). God....some of the stuff! AND there were hand grenades (pineapples) like everywhere!!! Plus stuff they don't give a pig's eye about and all of us consider it Gold. There were a couple of areas John was going to indulge me in, but due to his father's health (Gordon) it just didn't come about.
If any Canucks who have had the pleasure of meeting Gordon over the years, he was truly a Gentleman. Crown Surplus was and is still an Calgary Institution just like Ribtor. Men who came home from the war and profited in the surplus business. We used to buy the killer size Camo Nets from them at $40.00 each and they had this lingering smell to them that I can still identify with to this day. John and I laughed about that smell because recently they found one from years gone by and the smell is still the same.
Unfortunately time and age has caught up with Gordon and at 88 years of age, he suffers from a form of dementia, that goes by another name. It will be a sad day when he passes. Anyway STOP cutting into my wine time Dirk! Robert