View Single Post
Old 26-05-18, 21:20
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi all,

Here is the last bit of work I’ll be doing before I skip over to France for a couple of weeks. I’ll be hitting the military fairs in Normandy so fingers crossed I pick up some of those hard to find parts.

The front axle is now complete, minus the nuts for the brake lines, which are coming. Brakes shoes, slaves cylinders, lines etc are all fitted. As I said last time, those rubber axle boots were dogs to put on. I thought the inner part of the boot was hard to put on, but the outer part was even worse. The boots I used were NOS halftrack ones and they were very stiff. I had to remove one that I had already half fitted and clamp it in a vice with some bits of wood and heat it up with a heat gun to stretch it. That got it on. I left the other side on and heated that up with a heat gun as well. I was then able to stretch the rubber enough on that to get the outer part of the boot on the steering knuckle. I’m told (thanks to Willy) that the best boots to use are the ones for the REO trucks. I don’t think it will be an easy job to ever replace these in situ, but if I ever have to I’ll be using the REO ones.

You’ll see that one of the slave cylinders is marked with a nylon tie The guy who put the stainless steel sleeves in the cylinders said that this cylinder has a split in the body. It shouldn’t affect the operation with it being sleeved, but I will keep an eye on that. The axle is sitting on a dolly now and I’ll slide it under the hull and fit it all when I get back.

I hooked up a 12 volt battery to the wiring to test the driver and co-driver interphones. The BC-604 transmitter and BC-603 receiver both started up as expected, but I noticed that the dynamotor on the transmitter was running all the time. I tried the driver and co-driver interphones with T-30 microphones, SW-141 chest rigs and HS-30 headphones fitted and neither worked. Bugger...I then plugged a T-17 microphone into the transmitter and that gave me audio at the two interphone stations. Okay, some progress, I thought….

I went back to the wiring diagrams I had. As you can see there are three slightly different versions of the wiring for the BC-606’s on these diagrams. I was just about to try rewiring them to one of the other versions when I noted the jumper on pins 6 and 10 on the connector on the FT-237. Two of the diagrams had the jumper on the FT-237, with corresponding differences at the BC-606’s. The diagram I had used though was the one out of TM 11-2702 and this did not have the jumper. I removed the jumper off the FT-237 terminal and straight away, I could transmit from the T-30 microphone on the co-driver side and hear it on the driver side. I noticed to that the dynamotor on the BC-604 was only running when the microphone was keyed which is correct. I tried transmitting from the driver’s side next but couldn’t hear audio at the co-driver’s side, so I obviously still have something amiss there. Whether it is a fault with the headphones I tried, or something internal in the BC-606, I’m not sure. I was out of time then so when I get back to the workshop I’ll work on that some more.

The T-30 microphone, by the way, seems to work really good. Much better than the T-17 microphone I thought.

Anyway, progress, but more work to do.
Attached Thumbnails
20180524_103717.jpg   20180524_124023.jpg   20180525_100025.jpg   20180525_113313.jpg   20180526_155436.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
1941 Australian LP2A Machine Gun Carrier
1943 White M3A1AOP Scout Car
1944 Ford M8 Armoured Car
1945 Ford M20 Armoured Car