View Single Post
Old 06-06-18, 20:28
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Kitson View Post
So was perhaps the wartime Jagdpanzer IV was traded to the Germans for the Kanonenjadgpanzer 90 that sits as a gate guard now, or a least the last time I was out there.
The Kanonenjadgpanzer sat outside that gate for a long long time, then was moved down to range control where it sat for a bunch more years. When they didn't want it anymore, Clive (the artifacts manager) went to range control with a couple Jerry cans of diesel and a slave cable, started it up, and drove it back to the museum collections storage building, where I work.

Unfortunately the vehicle had been left with it's hull plugs in, so the hull became a rain gauge. Fortunately, it doesn't rain that much in Shilo, but it does freeze. The water (and freezing) buggered up the alternator, along with some wiring at a low lying junction box. Around the time I started at the museum, the pack was pulled, and the engine compartment re-painted in an epoxy white. The Bosch part number for the alternator looked kind of familiar. It turns out Bosch uses the German NSN for a part number. That NSN led to nowhere, however one digit out was the Leopard1 alternator. A call to Ottawa got permission for us to order one (by the time supply finished we ended up with three) and the $7,000 alternator was installed. However the problem we are currently faced with is that the pack weighs more than the current CF wrecker can safely lift within the confines of this building, so one of these days (possibly in August) I need to pull the vehicle outside and get transport's crane here to do the lift and installation. We almost got the engine in about 2 years back, but broke a coolant fitting while lowering it.

Can't say when, as it is not a priority, but the Kanonenjadgpanzer will run again.