View Single Post
Old 28-04-19, 20:56

John,

You would have great difficulty converting the Mk3...Mk5 to a Mk5/1 as per RAAC in Svn as all but one tank (a dozer) had the L6A1 .50 cal ranging gun (RG) fitted, which necessitated the boring of an additional aperture through the mantlet, and a complete change of MG mounts, internal stowage, and so on. The up-armour is easy by comparison to adding the RG.

Radio/wireless fit might also be an issue: Aust tanks were fitted with Larkspur, so unless your Mk3 turret was upgraded to Larkspur at some stage, then it is possibly still fitted for WS19/88AFV sets (different mounting studs, antennae mounts, and so on).

Not sure about the early Mk3 loader's hatch orientation on upgraded Aust Cents deployed to SVN: I'd have to check my notes (quite a while since I've looked at Cent stuff). I have a feeling the Aust tanks with early (angled) position loaders hatches were part of the later (1971) purchase of tanks from Brit stocks in Hong Kong, which of course, were not deployed to SVN, but as I said, I'd have to check.

Glad the Armortek thread is of interest.

Mike