View Single Post
Old 30-01-15, 17:19

I took a look at my cables and found that the B-Set cables I have are all NOS and have been assembled in the same format. The brown label sleeve is located against the straight Pye Connector. This label is actually the "TUNED LENGTH DO NOT CUT" warning. The ID tag for the cable is the small metal black and silver tag crimped to the cable with the ZA Number for the cable on it. It is fastened within the half of the cable at the elbow Pye Connector end. This strange rubber grommet is installed with the round end against the elbow Pye connector and the cone pointing towards the straight Pye connector end of the cable, so it would seem that in some installation situations, this orientation is critical.

To add a second layer to the puzzle, my A-Set Pye cable (between the set and the variometer) also has this rubber grommet installed. See photo. One elbow connector has a brown ID sleeve up against it. The rubber grommet is installed with the round end up against the elbow Pye connector at the opposite end of the cable, with the cone pointed towards the brown sleeve. For the Ground and Truck installation, the orientation of this A-Set cable is irrelevant, but there must be some installations where orientation is critical.

One last wrinkle. While examining these cables this morning, the look of this grommet started to bug me with it's familiarity. Went down to the Wireless Room and lo and behold, the same grommet is also used on 19-Set Control Boxes to protect the head set leads passing through the side of the box. In this application it is held in place by a circular cadmium plated retaining ring and two small screws. See second photo. I have looked at all available grommets of this style in my collection and none of them have any markings on them at all.

Jordan.

Do the Installation instructions for your carrier mention this grommet and how/why it is to be installed?

Cheers

David
Attached Thumbnails
19-Set A Set Aerial Cable.JPG   19-Set Control Box.JPG