View Single Post
Old 17-04-23, 04:52

Default Sad to see the skill set disappear......

What do we have here in Canada that has a good reputation, skilled staff and fair prices???? Would be interesting to about Canadian experience in engine rebuilding.

For example in Ottawa, to my knowledge we have NO engine rebuilders, Babbitt or not, ......lots of shop will take on the job but apart from the optional local re-assembly all the dirty work is done in TO or Montreal........ the safety regulation for hot tanking blocks, special spill kits, the aging skill set and the low volume does not allow to keep experienced staff busy, and the fact that very few engines ever get rebuilt has killed the business. I have heard sad stories of engine returning from the BIG machine shops with mix parts from other engines and in my case the oil outlet and inlet of my 261 had been seriously plugged with sealer and painted over........ which would have killed the engine in the very first test runs.
......... or upon close examination the rods and caps had all been renumbered/stamped and rod cast numbers did not all match...... with dribbled red silicon inside the oil pan and side valve cover on a Dodge. However the engines did run.......

what do we have in Eastern Canada????? East Coast??? Western area and over the hill in BC......?

I can start from my experience and highly recommend the OAK Brothers in Toronto - Weston Ontario for Carburetor rebuilding......including racing and antiques..... they still have an old fashion flow bench tester that they use to preset the mixture which uses uses kerosene as fluid.... and a huge external Vacuum set up...... in every instant the vehicle starts on first try and only needs very minor adjustments. They will buy your good surplus vintage cores and credit for the rebuilding of your good one.

What else we got????

Cheers
Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 17-04-23 at 05:00.