View Single Post
Old 14-06-17, 17:43

Colin. I love watching how you think your way through the various challenges of these two restorations, and how that morphs into a practical (and bloody marvellous) application!

If I recall correctly, you have one complete original engine to work with and were considering options for the second vehicle. Barring another original engine ever turning up for you to work with seems you would need to look for an older or newer replacement.

Just tossing this out there, but would the dimensions of the original engine be large enough that a modern engine of similar style and power, but smaller, would be available that could be fitted into a case designed to replicate the look of the original engine externally?

A few years ago, a company in the USA built a limited number of Me-262's using modern GE engines. The engines had to be detuned somewhat to avoid overstressing the original airframe design and the builders wanted their Me-262 to match the original in terms of performance. But the second problem the builders had was that the GE engine was a lot smaller than the original Jumo engine. I believe they solved that problem by designing an engine mount/adapter the GE could be placed in and which looked externally like the Jumo.

The concept may not translate at all to your project, but I thought I would toss it out there.

Keep up the amazing work!

David