Thread: WW1 Mark V Tank
View Single Post
Old 22-11-16, 10:18
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motto View Post
This is probably an appropriate place to ask my next question.
About four years ago we stumbled across an airfield Just south of the town of Gore with a museum housing a good collection of Dehavilland aircraft and a workshop complex nearby where some interesting things were being done. Somebody was manufacturing Tiger Moth fuel tanks, which is no simple task, there was a wooden propellor being made, IIRC a Stinson getting some work done but the most astonishing thing was a Dehavilland 88 Comet replica which appeared to be well on the way to completion.
I was hoping to drop in on my recent NZ tour but didn't get down that far.
Does anyone know what the current situation is as regards the Comet? I would be very interested to know what has become of it.

David
The airfield is called Mandeville, and is home to regular Tiger Moth fly-ins and a De Havilland restoration business Croydon Aircraft Company. No info on their website re the Comet, but give them a quick call to find out.

Next Fly-in is 18-19 Feb 2017, but their museum and workshop is open year round. Book a vintage joyflight for your visit!