View Single Post
Old 28-05-18, 01:49
VMVC

Default removing steering wheel

Hi Nathan,

Ditto everything Phil said.

Unfortunately there are no puller bolt holes on the Ford F15-A steering wheel so any pulling has to be done from the bottom of the wheel hub. As shown in the photo the steel insert is recessed into the plastic (Bakelite?) of the hub. For this reason to avoid damage to the plastic hub the pulling force must be spread over the largest area possible.

I recreated, as best I can remember, the setup I used on my gear puller. I reversed the bottom plates so that I would be pulling on the steering wheel hub on a flat surface.

I must confess I didn't leave the nut on, but I was lucky. The flat rotating pilot on the screw spread the load out evenly on the steering shaft so no damage occurred. To do it again I would leave the nut on too.

I did as Phil mentioned and took just a small strain on the hub then gave the screw shaft a tap. I think it popped off on the first tap. Maybe I was lucky.

Another handy hint: if you lose, or want to replace the key they are often available at mower repair shops. Small motors use them. Local shop had drawers of all different sizes.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0111.JPG   IMG_0304.JPG  

Jacques Reed