View Single Post
Old 24-06-18, 13:35
MLU Administrator

The Ford Woodie pictured here is most likely a Car, Station Wagon, Ford C11AS - or rather, the left-hand drive variant for domestic use.

Quote:
At first, I wasn't sure what this vehicle is that Arthur Norris is driving. The vertical post behind the seat is puzzling and it does not look like any of the vehicles in the photos that follow. Of note is the wood lathe headliner, the horizontal wood aft the post, driver's side vent window and the sharp corner of the driver window—possibly a 1941 Ford Super Deluxe “Woodie” Station Wagon. If it is a Woodie, I doubt that it is an official RAF vehicle and perhaps one that was borrowed, rented or purchased by one or all of the lads for touring. Photo: Arthur Norris Collection
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picton05.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	100487

Another photo in Norris' album backs up my guess at the vehicle in the previous photograph. This is definitely a 1941 Ford Super Deluxe Woodie Wagon. Here we see one of Norris's friends pumping gas at a base motor pool pump, so possibly this was actually an RAF vehicle. Perhaps he was allowed to purchase gas from the base. If anyone has heard of a Woodie being used by the RAF or RCAF, let me know. Photo: Arthur Norris Collection
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picton97.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	100488