View Single Post
Old 24-06-18, 15:41

Default RCAF Woodies

Hanno.

Back in the 1980’s, in the St. Andrews area just North of Winnipeg, the Sigfusson family used to live. Their claim to fame was the construction of Winter Roads each year in Northern Manitoba.

In their workshop beside the family home, they had a wartime, military Dodge (a 3/4-ton I think) with the steel military front but an all wood ‘Carryall’ style body. The front doors had “R.C.A.F.” stenciled on them still visible but the Station “Y-Number” under it was too faded to read clearly.

The family was winding up business at the time and I asked if the truck was for sale. It was not, but they did confirm it was purchased from Crown Assets sometime postwar and was still all original. About 10 years later it showed up for sale just northEast of Winnipeg near Lockport and then disappeared. Around 2005 one of our club members mentioned a friend of his had purchased an old Dodge that looked to have RCAF history. The description matched this vehicle but we heard nothing further about it.

Not sure if it qualifies as a true Woodie, which I think were Civilian models only, but thought I would mention it.

David