View Single Post
Old 30-07-10, 22:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Bullock View Post
Hi Richard
Thanks for that, would that have been an ADVANCED, ARMOURED or simply 'A' vehicle Depot? I have the name Turweston which is Brakley area, but listed as BVD. I am trying to find out if this was a collecting area for armoured vehicles around 1947/8 with equipment being retrurned from Europe, presumably assessed and the best examples being sent on to Singapore, so could it have been a 'temporary 'A' vehicle depot? There is an airfield at Turweston, that was disused by the military from 1946 (ish). Was that the location of the AVD, or was it on another site? Too many questions I know!
kind regards
nick
Nick,
I knew of 75 BVD at Turweston, but found references to 75 AVD at Brackley in a RAOC old comrades forum, RAOC would have manned these depots.

Something just clicked in my memory, and I took a look in John Marchant's book, "Work and play with ex-military vehicles", and he had a sentry box salvaged from an AFV storage depot in 1958 whilst clearing the site. It was 75AVD at Turweston, near Brackley, so one and the same place!

regards, Richard

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor