View Single Post
Old 06-10-15, 23:25
Tony Baker

It's been so long time since I joined, so I cannot remember the answer to the following question.
Do new members get an email sent advising of acceptance to the MLU group?
If so, can text be inserted in that email to request first posting to be in the introductory location of choice?

We want to make new people welcomed, and I think that's universal, but there are so many new folks right now. There must be a low tech way of achieving the goal without loading moderators with additional work. Asking fresh applicants to use their name and reasonably accurate location will help too.

On the subject of putting personal information on the net. I recently asked Hanno to remove or hide my thread about my Son. It was specifically for how the info contained in the posts might be potentially used to his detriment. I don't know that it could happen, but I certainly don't know that it couldn't either. It is very unfortunate that the same internet which has been such a good resource bringing enthusiasts like us together, is also responsible for some of the most damaging attacks on personal and financial security. Very fine line in deciding how much information is safe, and I don't know where that line is drawn, but surely a name and rough area of address won't be too much to ask.