View Single Post
Old 24-10-05, 06:31
carrier mech

"Did you ever answer the question as to whether a 'deactivation' needs to be 'officially sanctioned' by an inspection by an approved armourer, of similar representative of our PC world? "

My experience with deactivating guns (and I've done a few of them) is that there was a change in the last year where the CFC now wants the signiture of either a liscenced gunsmith, or a police officer, to verify that a firearm has been deactivated to the Cdn firearms manual guidelines. Previous to this, you just filled out the form they sent you, mailed it in, and in a month or two they would send you a letter acknowledgeing the deactivation.

Ontario seems to have it's own guidelines, which overlap the federal laws. Even the requirement to have someone verify that the gun has been deactivated is not in the firearms act but rather is a recent policy change by the registrar. The law says that you only have to notify the registrar when a firearm has been modified so as not to meet the definition of a firearm.

As to the Ross rifle smoke discharger, I would suggest that those who cut down a Ross Rifle to make one of these, counterbore it so there is no Rifling in the barrel. That way it will not be capable of firing a projectile over 500 fps. However, in reality, is has always been a criminal code offence to shorten a barrel to below 18" in length. So better yet is to have a new barrel made up for the purpose. Again, ensure there is no chance of it discharging a projectile. Without a proper diameter barrel, the bullet will literally fall out of the casing.