View Single Post
Old 24-10-05, 12:49
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally posted by rob love
As to the Ross rifle smoke discharger, I would suggest that those who cut down a Ross Rifle to make one of these, counterbore it so there is no Rifling in the barrel. That way it will not be capable of firing a projectile over 500 fps. However, in reality, is has always been a criminal code offence to shorten a barrel to below 18" in length. So better yet is to have a new barrel made up for the purpose. Again, ensure there is no chance of it discharging a projectile. Without a proper diameter barrel, the bullet will literally fall out of the casing.
I put it to you that the corrollary to this is that IF the action (Ross/SMLE) can be removed from the discharger cup, and IF it can chamber a live round, it COULD be construed as a prohibited weapon. This is dangerous ground to be on.

I don't know enough anymore about the current rules/regulations/whims of the various firearms control agencies to comment on the status of any given dewat, except to hazard a guess that if you have one which meets the criteria specified by the feds, you're probably on safe ground, given that there used to be no requirement to register them or otherwise record when the deactivation was done. If you're going to have a deactivation done in order to dress up a vehicle, best to follow the proper paper trail - better safe than sorry.

It's idiotic, isn't it? :