View Single Post
Old 30-10-05, 03:22
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
I

I don't know enough anymore about the current rules/regulations/whims of the various firearms control agencies to comment on the status of any given dewat,
Up until 2000 when I moved to Texas I was a C.O.R.E. Examiner, Certified Firearms Instructor, and Firearms Verifier in B.C. There seems to be as much confusion now as there was then. It appears the government has done very little to educate the firearm owners of Canada as to what must have been done to a firearm to be classified a "DEWAT" Reading the threads addressing this issue reflect that confusion. Unless the requirements have changed since 2000 you must:

1) If the firearm has a chamber you must mill a longitudinal slot into the chamber.
2) The bolt or breechblock must have a hole drilled into it's face so as to prevent the use of a firing pin.
3) The barrel must have a mandrel welded into it, The material used for welding the mandrel must be of a harder metal than the barrel to prevent the mandrel from being removed without destroying the barrel.
4) Any centrefire detachable box magazine must have been PERMANENTLY pinned or filled so as to prevent it from holding more than 5 cartridges...(That's detachable box magazine, Dave, not clip!)
5) In the case of a Converted auto you must remove the safety sear and permanently weld the selector switch.

These are only a few of the Federal regulations. Your local Chief Firearms Officer may decide to add a few of his own. For example, try to find a Brengun in B.C. where the gas tube hasn't been welded closed.
Any H.A.C.S. member from B.C. can tell you horror stories about the RCMP gun lab in Vancouver. They'll spend whatever money is required to get your confiscated DEWAT running again, and then tell you it is going to be confiscated and destroyed because it's now "full auto" Then surprisingly, months later that firearm shows up for sale!? I remember a certain museum quality MG42 that ended up that way. Things that make you go hmmmm?

Man! am I glad I live in Texas!