View Single Post
Old 02-03-10, 02:43
Armour Owner x 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztankboy View Post
Talking about misconceptions and pomy vehicles...

On one occation when I drove a champ to a monthly meeting of the Qld Milt Jeep club had this one guy ranting that it takes 8 hours to change the spark plugs. I conceed it would take twice as long as a normal vehicle as you have to screw off the shielded leeds... but 8 hours? I made a mental note never to go to him for any automotive work, as he was a auto mechanic.

But also being a tank owner no armoured vehicle is easy to work on but if you approach it the right way and dont try and cut corners they aint too bad. Being also the owner of a 1 ton Humber the same goes for it too!

Phil...
Phil

I have repeatedly found the problem is that those who get into armour haven't done their homework. On more than one occasion I have talked new owners through the correct procedures for Ferret operation and maintenance and seen in their eyes they have absolutely NO intention of doing any of it.

That attitude may work with a Commodore for 100,000km, but it isn't going to fly with an armoured vehicles where everything is heavily loaded and
relies absolutely on everything being kept lubricated and adjusted.

These are also the same people who within a year or 2 want to sell their vehicle and I subsequently find out that the gearbox is stuffed or it had a blown hub or bevel box.

I have seen similar attitudes in aviation, the old saying "there are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots" is very apt.
It is as simple as reading the manual. But it is also a case of understanding the machine.

Recently I have had several phone calls from an owner of Pommie armour who wants me to solve his problems, but will not do any of the maintenance routines - surprise, surprise, he has had nothing but grief with it.
I can hear it in his voice, he doesn't say the words, but the attitude is unmistakably there "I am not interested in all that".

Regards
Doug