View Single Post
Old 08-02-15, 10:39
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default rego

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
This is an interesting difference. My one rolling vehicle has an ordinary vehicle licence plate and no particular restrictions. So, what conditions do Aussies, Kiwis, Brits and Americans have to meet in order to drive their (formerly) old rusty trucks?

In Canada, motor vehicles are registered by the province. My vehicle was plated in another province, but that made no difference to Ontario. First things first, with the bill of sale I needed to register it as "unfit" to declare ownership. That cost $$$ and was based on its declared resale value. Then I had to find a garage approved for vehicle inspections. I talked to the garageman about what he would be inspecting, and concentrating on those areas for repairs. Fortunately he is ex RCEME and has a soft spot for green trucks. I found an insurance company that sells limited use collectors' insurance as long as I hold a valid policy on my daily driver vehicle. That cost about $150. With proof of insurance and the ownership, I bought a 10-day temporary registration and drove to the prearranged garage. He pointed out two minor things which I fixed right away, and had it reinspected before the trip permit expired. He signed the inspection report, and I went back to the licence bureau. Only then could I register it as a 'whatever', and paid $$$ based on some impenetrable formula. It has the same licence plate as my car, and except for use restrictions from the insurer I can drive it anywhere and anytime. The 'whatever' is because province's database had no entry for a 1974 AM General M151A2. So every other "jeep" of this type is actually registered as something else.
If you are registering a unusual vehicle, it helps the guy behind the counter, if you can take along any technical specifications relating to your vehicle. Weight , horsepower and so on. Any books or manuals with specs will help as well , the counter staff tend to believe printed data more than your own words .

Last time I drove my own MV to an event , the VMVC swap meet 1999 in the C8 .
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad