Thread: Penguin
View Single Post
Old 02-01-23, 14:51

Default Wapiti

Yes, the Wapiti still survives and would appreciate a sympathetic new home. I rescued this machine 30 plus years ago and religiously retarp and recover it every fall hoping it will remain intact for restoration. It really needs to go somewhere where it will be stored indoors and restoration work can commence. If your really interested please PM me and we can have that discussion.
One of the benefits of owning this beast is the support I have received from MLU members to track down archival material, old film/ video and information on related over snow vehicles like the Beaver. When I went to the Public Archives of Canada in Ottawa a few years ago I discovered a vast amount of paper records relating to the design, construction and trouble shooting of this vehicle from about 1948 to 1955. It had never been accessed before my inquiries. When I read and reread the hundreds of documents I realized that I had met some of the original men behind this contraption at Bill Greggs CMP Seminar, but unfortunately at that time I knew nothing about the Wapiti or the considerable efforts in the late 40s and early 50s to produce a wide range of Caanadian built specialty vehicles.