Thread: Caterpillar D6A
View Single Post
Old 08-11-21, 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
sounds like the project has got very serious!
You don’t know the next part yet … “We’re trying to get a permit to dig a big hole in your beach”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
Personally I would try to complete this one by welding in the missing pieces, rather than making a complete repro set of armour......it would be a shame not to use as much of the original as possible and it's certainly no disgrace if one can see where new sections were welded in.....it would tell an interesting part of it's history!
I had assumed they would weld plates into the openings, but when I mentioned this, I was told that apparently their plan is to fabricate a new cab completely. “You’ll never get welded-in plates to look quite right” I think was the reason. My POV was also that if you close the holes, you’ll have the original armour on it as much as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P View Post
What kind of shape is the undercarriage and track frames in?.
I’m not a real vehicle restoration expert (the 1:35 scale versions are more my thing) but they looked OK, though some of the sheet metal was rusted. The track, though, still works fine — the links moved under my weight as I stood on top of it to get into the cab.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8196.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	125789 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8194.jpg
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	125790 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8195.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	125791 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8224.jpg
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	125792

As said, though, they have two other D6s, and plan to use parts from at least one of them.

Last edited by Jakko Westerbeke; 08-11-21 at 11:02.