View Single Post
Old 09-04-16, 23:24
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
Ya got me. It is Rebroadcast (actually, in the 19 set manual it is 'Re-Broadcast'). The 'remote' seems to have crept in because I was writing up next week's installment on RCU's at the same time. I'd have to look at other AFV installations but in the Fox armoured car it's the commander who gets the control unit with the N/R switch.

I WAS going to do something on various 19 set control units...but...ah...never mind, I think you've got it covered.
Once I get stuff sorted out (like the impending (and involuntary) house move) I will be able to lay stuff out and photograph it. I'll probably have more free time, too, in which to do the things I want to. (Stop Laughing!)

Small AFVs like the Daimler Dingo tended to use one control unit like the No.3, which is a double-sized box containing (effectively) the No.1 (commander) and No.2 (operator) units thus reducing the need for extra cabling. It's only when you get to large AFVs with more crew that things get complicated.

The WS19 control harness began life with Control Units No.1 and No.2, plus Junction Distributions No.1 and No.2 (Then things got out of hand somewhat.)

I like the idea of Control Unit No.8, with two dropleads: one standard length, and one 15 feet long.

(It was intended for AFV training, where the instructor could ride outside the tank and give directions over the intercom. Sanity prevailed with the No.8 Mk.1* that had two normal length dropleads and was presumably used with a suitable extension cable that could be quickly replaced when it got chewed up by the tracks or snagged on an obstruction, rather than having to dismantle the CU and wire in a new lead.)

Chris. (Wondering if strikethrough works on this system?)

Last edited by Chris Suslowicz; 09-04-16 at 23:26. Reason: Strikethrough does not work. :(