View Single Post
Old 04-06-14, 00:43
aut viam inveniam aut fac

the CF 104 was designed for the same "single" role..supersonic interceptor, a 1950s jet -older than the Arrow !!! which we held on to until the late 80s

It was later roled as nuclear strike carrier and recon, then as a bomber, then as a fighter (although with large stabilizers passing for wings, was probably less manoueverable than the arrow ,,,they couldnt turn worth crap....(-and I flew in one- after passing HAI and viewing the film. 104 ways you will die in this plane... not the actual title, but basically that was the subject, I think the stall recovery needed was 25,000 ft, got to fly it for a few minutes too)

also the 104 was re-modelled as the U2-- so pretty sure the arrow could- maybe would- have been re-adapted for other roles

(by the way, the existence of the CIA- U2 and Russian overflights was long publicly denied by the US-although the Russians knew it... but couldnt prove it- and some higher ups in the CIA were very anxious about the Arrows ability in speed and height to intercept an "unidentified" aircraft if ti happened to fly over Canadian airspace and thus confirm its existence (conspiracy theory starts-and so tried to put the kibosh on the Arrow..and succeeded in 1959)

...1960-eventually the Russians built a SAM-2 capable of going high enough to hit the U2 and Gary Powers- who was supposed to take a cyanide pill but didnt and was also supposed to activate the plane's self destruct explosives..but didnt and the Soviets recovered lots of info from the plane which surprisingly crashed without catastophic damage.- one investigation blamed him, another didnt. he died in a TV helicopter crash in 77, and is buried in Arlington.