View Single Post
Old 29-01-19, 12:24

Hi

This is my first post here. I have chosen an older thread to announce my entry and add my $0.02 worth, as I couldn't find a specific "introductions" thread. Apologies if this is incorrect form.

I stumbled across this forum and thread while googling for anything I could find out about the fate of the 4 NZ Army Scammell Explorers. These handsome beasts were in their last days of service in the early part of my stellar (not so much) service in RNZEME from 1977-1985 and where being phased out out in favour of the M816, supported by the ever trusty Bedford RL in the light role.

Recovery was my obsession throughout my time, which included a spell in an armoured LAD on the M806 ARV. Sadly, I never had the opportunity to lay my greasy mits on the mighty Scammell. However, I can confirm that the vehicle pictured in the OP is a NZ spec Explorer with the very handsome (imho) Constructor style cab. I can also confirm that motivation was by Rolls Royce C6NFL diesel, approximately 180hp if memory serves. This seems to be another point of difference from the UK spec machines which look, mostly, to have either a Meadows petrol or a Gardner.

I attach a grainy image (taken approximately 1978 on a Kodak Instamatic) of a Scammell and an RL in the yard of the, then, RNZEME Waiouru Workshop. The Scammell was in good health at that time and was still, nominally, on the fleet, the M816 having not yet been deployed to Waiouru.

I last saw a Scammell in the early 80's at Base Wksp, Trentham, where it sat forlornly with, I was told, a worn out worm wheel in the rear final drive and no parts available for repair. I suspect it was scrapped in the end.

A bit sad to see the fate of the vehicle in the OP, although it does look saveable. I'm sure it would be a hit all restored up at one of those big UK rallies I see all over Youtube, given its history and rarity. If only my pockets were deeper it was worth the investment.

Mike.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG