View Single Post
Old 04-03-05, 13:00
MLU Administrator

Just like trailers, bicycles are a class of military vehicles for which IŽd like to call more attention to.
On eBay I came across a Canadian CCM "Rambler" up for auction, of which I am posting details and pictures here in a quest for more information on this subject in general, and to make sure this particular bike does not disappear into oblivion after the auction.

Quote:
MILITARY BICYCLE CIRCA 1942 Canadian CCM "Rambler" s.n. 4H9626 Item number: 6514942998

Description:
This bicycle was bought at a garage sale here in Sherbrooke. Unfortunately it's history was lost. Could it have been brought back by a verteran? The bicycle has seen some hard use but is in riding condition (coaster brake is not real responsive). Pedals have wooden blocks (rubber shortage in 1942). Originally the entire bike would have been painted in military colours including the handlebars, spokes, hubs, chainring etc. Much of the khaki colour remains, although there is very little left on the handlebars, spokes etc. Veterans tell me that this CCM model was popular with U.S. and British armed forces as well as Canadians. The bike is all-original with the following exceptions: Handlebar stem (replaced with exactly the same style but shorter), mudguard reflector lens, rear mudguard nuts and bolts, front mudguard machine screw (oversize), tires (old but maybe not original). The original handlebar grips are missing. When I got this bike the fork stem was bent but this has been straightened. As far as other repairs required, there's a good bash on the seat tube (see photo). The rear wheel also has a bash at one point on the rim making it somewhat out of round. (You don't notice it while you're riding the bike). NOTE: The handlebar grips and bike stand shown in the photo DO NOT go with the bike-They were for display purposes only
Attached Images