View Single Post
Old 03-01-21, 22:07
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Storey View Post
Yes, but this does not mean that you can scan a whole publication, then download it to a forum in which anyone can then access the document and copy it for free. Scanning and posting selected segments, for private study, research etc is acceptable. Giving credit to the source is always nice as well.
I agree credit would be nice, though it clearly is Wheels and Tracks. There is no profit, I consider it for research and the Copyright Act is silent on what portion or portions may be made available (who's to say something in the rest of the publication isn't invaluable in putting context to the research or study being done?). Where this gets murkier is where something is published. The Canadian federal Copyright Act starts down this path but acknowledges what's outside of Canada can't rightly be enforced, just 'persuaded' and injunctions at the pleasure of some other location. I dealt with some of this first hand when I was part of an organization having to sort out what happens when provincial legislation compels someone to do something that is against the federal act. It was never really settled as both sides ran out of will and money to decide it.