View Single Post
Old 08-01-21, 00:05
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Phillips View Post
Here are a couple of related pictures..which vehicle is this Bruce? Though it probably doesn't show up well in the scan, there is a double triangle on the front with adata plate in the center. Second photo goes hand in hand with the German halftrack photo. This ME262 was sold for scrap out of Aylmer ontario to a local scrap dealer. Engines had apparently been removed from the aircraft for testing. It was broken up for scrap. (Warbirds International. May 2000).
I wish I had been a scrap dealer in the early 1950s !
What a lost opportunity on the Me262. Damn.

The Fox is "THIN ROOF HULL", the Elliott's museum piece. Given the painted hull and unpainted turret the photo dates from a time during their cleanup. The giveaway is the headlight configuration and undersize dummy smoke dischargers. Barely visible is that it has two front axles, the Elliotts used what they had. I spent many hours inside that Fox and it provided invaluable information for my restoration as well as one in England.

Here's pics of it on the day it arrived in Salt Lake City and what it looks like today. I swear some of the brown marks on the floor are my blood from scuffs and nicks suffered during my fact finding missions. This is also the Fox that almost killed me and note it STILL doesn't have hinges holding the engine cover on.

We just need a current pic of Paul Visser's Fox to see where all three ended up.
Attached Thumbnails
misc1 052.jpg   misc1 057.jpg   600px-Fox_Armored_Car.JPG  

Last edited by Bruce Parker (RIP); 08-01-21 at 00:16.