View Single Post
Old 30-03-17, 14:51

Default Neophyte needs wisdom re: 25 pounder gun refurb

Hello, folks.

I was attending a shindig for my employer and one of the guest speakers was the CO of the local reserve arty outfit. We got talking, found some common ground, and the next thing I knew I was a guest at his office looking at this old lady:

Yep, a 25 pounder, 1943 Canadian production, missing a few bits but fireable.

Came home, warmed up the interwebs, sent a PM to a fellow on Canadiangunnutz to ask advice. He put me on to Mr. Rob Love who has been both a gentleman and entirely invaluable in my efforts to find resources to get her back on her feet. It was Rob sent me here. And yep, I've read the lengthy and enormously useful thread posted by Private_collector. Excellent stuff, and very reassuring.

Thanks to Rob for getting me here, and to the rest of you for your contributions to that thread.

So, the gun:

She's largely in one piece. The first thing that jumps out is that cut down gun shield. She was last used as a funeral gun, carrying old artillerymen to their graves, doubtless with dignity and appropriate respect. The platform was laid atop the cut down shield and then attached to brackets welded at the muzzle and the breech. The brackets have been removed, but the scars remain:

The shield still has a number of useful brackets and such attached. We'll be salvaging those.

At some point in her life, someone saw fit to sandblast her and then paint her green. The sandblasting did the wee plaques and notices no end of harm...

(I hope there's a source for replacements) and that green paint went everywhere.