Thread: How To: Ford CMP "Blitz" miscellany
View Single Post
Old 01-07-20, 06:26
VMVC

Default Ford F-15A speedometer cable routing- solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
Jacques, my 41 to 47 Canadian commercial parts book lists casings at:
60.8"
103"
54"
92"
68"
and lastly at 61" long
How any of these match up to CMPs, I have no idea.
The LP2 and LP2A Australian carrier used a 51F-17261 case and a 51F- 17262 shaft. I can't find a length.
Any part numbers on your cable?
Not sure this helps you in any way, but I wondered.
Hi Lynn et al,

Just jumping back to getting a speedometer cable length and route for my F-15A I think I may have a solution:

I tried running the longer cable through various parts of the chassis and along the chassis rail. Nothing seemed satisfactory. Either the bends were too sharp or it ran very close to clutch, brake, or handbrake rods and levers. I went back to the idea from the sketch of running it along the handbrake to transmission bracket.

I found only one unused hole in the transmission crossmember was large enough to allow the speedometer end nut to pass through and it was the one closest to the handbrake bracket. It allowed a sweeping bend from the transfer case to it and well cleared the handbrake rod that runs above the transfer case.

I noticed holes in the same place on three floor assemblies and thought there must be a reason they were factory drilled there. Putting a chassis clip there held the cable well away from any rods and allowed a gradual bend along the cab floor rails. The cable now passes well above the rods.

On a spare cab I bought were the two clips on the back of the engine cover clips. I carefully repositioned them on this truck at the time not knowing what they were for. Assumed it was for the wiring. They work out well to guide the cable to where it penetrates the cowl.

Finally measured up the long cable up and it is about 14" too long. I have teed it up to have it shortened to 105" by Flexible Drive. I have read 84" was the length of a F-15A cable but I cannot see how it can be done without very tight bends and straight runs between points.
This may or not be all correct but it seems like the best solution unless some other info is forthcoming.

Hope this is of some interest.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0074.JPG   IMG_0075 (2).JPG  

Jacques Reed