View Single Post
Old 09-03-07, 17:46
Derek Heuring

Default Possible early ARK?

Firstly, let me thank Wim Sikkelbein for the help in converting a large Word file to a small jpeg, if that is what this is! I was surfing the net looking for pictures of Bailey bridges when I came upon this most interesting pic. It appears someone loaded an A9 Mark 1 Cruiser tank onto the back of a WW I Mark IV tank. The Mk. IV tank looks to be modified from a "Female", or possible "Hermaphrodite" tank by the addition of a rear ramp and jib boom at the front. The tanks are thence driven onto a Bailey bridge in what appears to be some sort of demonstration, judging by the interest shown by the onlookers. What isn't apparent is the subject of this demonstration...using the Mk. IV as an ARK, or that the bailey is capable of handling the width and weight of the two tanks, or something else. It's an intriguing picture. I can't see a Mk. IV tank being used operationally in WW II with it's limited range (22 miles) and speed (3.7 mph). The Cruiser tank was developed in 1938 and I'm surprised to see a Mk. IV being used at that late date. Any info and comments appreciated regarding this picture. I hope you all enjoy this pic. Derek.

Last edited by sapper740; 09-03-07 at 17:59.