View Single Post
Old 07-07-12, 00:36

The rear end was mounted on the 4th of July, but doing it removed any desire to celebrate the day. We did not use the method we saw in your pictures Andrew. We used the PTO on a tractor to lift the rear end onto a pallet, and then lined it up with the access hole at the rear of the T16. Everything looked good, but we deluded ourselves into thinking this would be a half hour job. It turned into several hours of sweating, swearing and sweltering in 100 degree heat. We finally gave up when we were starting to see mermaids, and thought we would let it sit until Saturday. I got a call from Glen a couple of hours later and he told me that he found advice from an expert (only Glen could find a German who fought in France during the war, and used T16s for a taxi behind his lines) that knew exactly how to mount a rearend. Glen has to tell me the full story on Saturday, but it had to do with a come along and a martial spirit. Needless to say, I was pretty surprised that he got it finished by himself, but at least I was sitting in my airconditioned house while we took on the final work by himself. I will be posting some pictures later this weekend, and hope to have even more completed by the end of the weekend. I am waiting for parts lists from Rod and Brian, and I'll be trying to remember to bring the parts technical manual home with me after we finish work on Saturday. I'm not exactly certain how many track links we have, but I think it's some where around 700. We have two full sets with lots of sag that were removed from one track, and another set with approximately 160 linked together. There is also a stack of unlinked tracks that numbers around 160. Pins might be a problem, because I'm pretty certain we don't have enough for the unlinked tracks. We'll worry about that when we get to it though. We are getting more excited every week, and once the engine is back we'll make getting it mounted our next priority. More to come this weekend.