View Single Post
Old 16-08-18, 23:08
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippyrail View Post
The first 200 odd vehicles were bought by the British purchasing commission & were painted 'Coronado Tan'. Later when Lend-Lease came in I don't know what colour they were if not the sand colour I presume the American yucky green! I know the CMP's were painted Light stone 61 or as near as the Canadian supplies allowed but I have heard of some American Modified civilian trucks painted in the Coronado Tan as well.
I am trying to revive an old thread in search for more information about the use of Coronado Tan.

I am quoting Shane Lovell on this subject:
Quote:
"The question of colour needs to be addressed by looking at the various vehicles and their sources:
[..]
M3 Medium 'General Grant' - these vehicles were directly contracted between Britain and the manufacturers. As such, the British were able to specify the paint colour which was Khaki Green No 3. A small number of Grants were finished in a US automotive colour, 'Coronado Tan' in late 1942 due to a misinterpretation of a vehicle painting instruction intended for North American supplied B vehicles." (my bold)
A source document, provided by Mike Starmer and Shane Lovell, states on 13-Nov-1941:
Quote:
"British M3 Mediums to be painted Coronado Tanou SQM specification same colour as Canadian Ford vehicles that are being shipped to M.E." (my bold)
As Howard pointed out, we know that Diamond T's were painted in Coronado Tan.

I can imagine US manufacturers sourced a paint colour very close to Light Stone to comply to British contracts, but wonder if the Canadian manufacturers were not using Light Stone from the onset. Any reference to paint colours I have found in Canadian sources note Light Stone, but not Coronado Tan.

Would anyone have more information about Canadian Ford vehicles being painted Coronado Tan? Any input on this subject is appreciated!

Thanks,
Hanno

Click image for larger version

Name:	coronado tan.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	101602